Wednesday 3 October 2007

Not in Toronto anymore

I arrived in Rome after an eight hour flight yesterday without any major problems. I didn't post because I didn't have internet access when I got back, but now I do, so I guess I'm back to the usual daily diary.

Today there was a welcoming something or other at the Salesianum for new students. Yes, of course I went. It was all pretty much pleasant and worthwhile, and I was particularly pleased when about 10 minutes if not more of our time was devoted to profiling the moral conduct of a student of the university!

What, do you actually have expectations other than academic; do you mean to imply that the true development of the intellect goes hand hand with moral development? That, dare I say it, a virtuous life is both a requisite for and consequence of authentic academic activity? I was especially pleased when the professor speaking affirmed the university's right to have expectations of its students, since coming here was a free choice. My my, I said to myself, how every different from the Bestia Torontonensis, that mostly sad period of my life I am glad to have left behind.

Spread the word: parents should send their kids to school in Rome. The education (by that I mean a complete education of the person, not just a brain) is far superior, and all things considered, it is probably slightly cheaper too if you have to pay for residence anyway.

First day of classes tomorrow. Good bye for now.

No comments: