Tuesday 28 August 2007

Feast of St. Augustine

Classes today. Not much free time. I discovered an alternate route back to the city from the university; in half an hour a bus takes me to the Piazza San Silvestro, a 10 minute walk from the frat church. This is much better than the bus that takes me to Termini, the central station, because from there it takes me much longer to reach San Gregorio.

It is all quite providential. As you may know, tomorrow we celebrate the decollation of St. John the Baptist, and it so happens that the church at Piazza San Silvestro, San Silvestro in Capite, has the head of St. John the Baptist! I already payed him a visit, but it will be extra special to sing the "Ut queant laxis" (sotto voce of course) before him tomorrow.

Today I had so much free time before Mass at San Gregorio that I went to the Church of Saint Augustine (which is also nearby) and I prayed at St. Monica's altar (her relics are in a sarcophagus under the altar,) and I lit a (real) votive candle. There were many people doing the same. Many religious in their habits. Most conspicuous of all were the Bridgettine nuns, who have a very unique veil.

On my way out of the church I noticed that the altarpiece of first side altar on the Gospel side as you come in is by Caravaggio! A painting I have studied before but I had no idea it was here. 'Twas a very happy reunion, like meeting a long lost friend.

If I remember my camera tomorrow I might take some pictures of the university....I might even quickly snap a picture of St. John the Baptist, (for your religious edification of course.)

No comments: