Thursday 5 April 2007

Call to Arms

A call to arms came from Parkdale sometime yesterday, Spy Wednesday. I heard it loud and clear even while lunching at far away Clover Hill. I’ve thought about it, and what it could mean, and whether it involves me or not, and what, if anything, I should do in response. I do believe it involves me, so I have therefore decided to publicly reveal my insanity.

That’s right; I am no longer an active member of that world in which most men live. I don’t believe my ancestors were apes, nor that man has a right to vote, nor that he should spend his youth dulling his intellect with “facts” and training it to be irrational and call that activity an “education”, nor that he should sacrifice the rest of his years to some unknown god that requires us to produce “stuff” more and more abundantly every day with no purpose other than to distract ourselves from ever thinking about anything that is permanent or important. I don’t think I should live my life as if nothing mattered, as if nothing were known to be true. Mothers should not kill their babies. I haven’t made these confessions in any particular order, and there are many more which could and should be written down, but it’s better to summarize by saying that I probably don’t believe most of the things you take for granted.

As further proof of my insanity, I hereby proclaim myself the Duke of Clover Hill, and lay claim to said land and all the attendant rights, privileges, and duties thereof. We graciously grant you permission to ignore us and our convictions; be assured that we might arbitrarily do likewise or ask one of our friends to persecute or mercilessly ridicule your erroneous assumptions. It will all depend on our mood that day. For those friendly visitors who would prefer to address me by my Christian name, it is both John and Charles.

If I am a Dux, whither am I leading you? You should not step into my newly formed imaginary world unless you ask yourself that question. The only answer I can give is that if you perceive that my destination is our Lord Jesus Christ, then you are welcome to tag along and follow. Fellow pilgrims and soldiers who know the way better than I are encouraged in charity to always correct me and never let me stray.

In Christo Mariaque,
Iohannes Carolus

No comments: